Besan ladoo a dessert delicacy that is enjoyed very highly in many homes, especially in the families in Rajasthan. The home environment is in the mood of celebration with the election results in India favouring the candidate of our choice. The prime ministerial candidate coming from my homestate and belonging to a political party to which my family aligns with, so double reason to celebrate. Sweets and desserts make joyous occasions, more joyful, and also chase away the gloomy moments. So presenting Besan Ladoos for all those watching the Indian election and are celebrating or otherwise.
The texture of the besan ladoo is soft yet you can taste the granular feel of the coarse bengal gram flour, which is nicely roasted and mixed with clarified butter(ghee), sugar and cardamom powder. The use of microwave in roasting the besan or bengal gram flour, removes one of the central hurdles in making this at home. As otherwise, a lot of effort and time in required to roast this over the flame that needs, extreme vigilance and efforts. So if you want to try making it , I would strongly recommend you give this microwave based recipe a shot first. It does require you to attend to it by frequent stirring, but the end result and the ease of it is worth the effort.
When rolling the ladoos sweet balls, I travelled back to the experience of making sand castles !! When you take the besan mixture in your hand and make a ball out it, the texture/feel is similar to the sand creations.
Besan Ladoo Gramflour Sweetballs can be made well in advance and used for a longer time period over a 10-15 days. This dessert is mainly consumed during winter, as Gram Besan flour provides heat to the body in the winter climate, along with the extra calories through the sugar in it!. If you want to go hiking,long trips, this can be a handy calorie snack on hand!!
And the celebration is in full swing as at every 100 seat winning, 1 ladoo sweetball is being consumed as the winning party looks like clearly sweeping the elections!
Recipe makes 10-12 Besan Ladoos Gram Flour Sweetballs
Cooking time 30 min
Cooling time : 60 min
- 1 cup Besan Ladoo Flour (Coarse GramFlour)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup ghee(unmelted) clarified butter
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Take a broad thick bottom microwave cookware and set the microwave to the highest setting.
- In the microwave container, mix the Besan Gram Flour and Ghee with hand. Mix the ghee well into the flour.
- Put this mix to cook for 3 min.
- Remove from microwave and stir for 15 seconds.
- Put again to cook for 2 min.
- Repeat cooking for another 2 min and stir.
- Cook further for another 1 min and stir.
- Cook for further 1 min and stir
- Cook for another 1 min and stir,
- Cook for another 5 minutes, removing every 30 seconds and stirring it.
- Total roasting time of besan gram flour is 15 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and let the mixture cool for about an hour.
- Mix in sugar and cardamom powder into the cooled roasted besan gramflour.
- Take about 2 tbsp mixture into your palm and press it to compact it into balls.
- Give the balls a finished shape by rolling them between two palms,
- Enjoy these textured sweetball as a dessert, snack or when in need of instant energy . Flash has made the ladoos lighter than actual color in the picture below,
Sugar to be reduced at least to half for readers in India, as the sugar is more sweeter in India than USA.
You can speed up the cooking by letting it cook for longer period in microwave, but make sure that the besan gramflour does not burn out.
For the change in color, see the variation in shade from plain coarse flour to the final roasted flour.
The aroma of roasted gram flour will fill your kitchen to indicate its done. The color of besan gramflour is very close to yellow ochre( in case you are into painting). Beyond 8-9 min you need to be extra careful, as gram flour can burn in a few extra seconds.
According to my husband, the biggest fan of besan ladoo gramflour sweetballs, the grainy texture of the roasted besan gram flour where you can savour each grain, yet bite into a soft ball, is something that can be devoured in multiples. I like the look of a ball, feel of the grainy texture and loaded with sugar and cardamom. Well roasted besan ladoo were mainly a grandma’s way of capturing the heart of the grandkids and we continue to see this in many places.
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]