People in India and around the world are filled with curiosity about Mr. Narendra Modi, India’s Prime Minister elect, on account of the sweeping victory claimed by him and his political party. So even I decided to join the club and do some more research about him, to know more about him as a person. Food being my passion, any information related to that sparked my interest. I came across this NDTV weblink on the top 5 favourite food of Mr. Narendra Modi at http://cooks.ndtv.com/article/show/narendra-modi-s-top-5-favourite-foods-525352. Needless to say they are all from Gujarati cuisine- Khili Khichadi, Khandvi, Dhiokla, Mango Chhundo( Chutney) and Badam Pista Shrikand.
The state of Gujarat has something in its soil , for it is the state from where stalwarts like Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, JInnah, and now Narendra Modi to have risen to political ranks of the country. Besides these, Gujarat has also been the state from where business man Dhirubhai Ambani and the Patriarch JRD Tata have originated. And the foodie in me, will want to also say , that, there must be also something in what you eat that makes you rise to top!!
Taking a cue from Mr.Modi’s five favorite foods, I am glad to share the recipe of instant khaman dhokla gram lentil steamed cake using Instant Mix. I have found this to be very easy, consistent and tastes delicious. This is often a breakfast item in our home , and is easily cooked in 15-20 min. There are many different brands of instant packs available, of which this is definitely very reliable and we have been using this for almost past ten years or so.
The khaman dhokla gram lentil steamed cake is soft, spongy, with a nice spicy garnish in the top. This is known for its sponginess hence, the comparison to a cake! And the good part of this is, if it does not turn out well, just crumble it and make it a Khaman mix with garnishes! So it is very forgiving dish for a new person trying it out. This is so popular that Gits has come with two varieties Khaman and Nylon Khaman. I prefer the Khaman Dhokla Mix.
The garnish on the Khaman Dhokla Gram Lentil Steamed cake could be red chilli powder, black pepper or even powdered roasted cumin seeds. Recipe of Khandvi , another delicacy enjoyed by Mr. Modi, can be found on this blog at http://cookingbyinstinct.com/khandvi-bengal-gram-rolls/
I am sure we will be seeing a lot of Khaman Dhokla Gram Lentil Steamed cake and Tea at Prime Ministerial State breakfast and that is something international dignitaries will get a good share of!! Seeing its well acceptance and appreciation by m international friends and my daughter’s classmates, Khaman Dhoklas are going to be very much in demand now!
Recipe makes 20 pieces
Cooking time 15 min
Prep time 5 min
Cooling time 10 min
- 1 pack Instant Khaman Dhokla mix ( Gits Brand)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup plus 60 ml of water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2-3 tbsp grated fresh coconut ( optional) I use the frozen grated coconut
- Special equipment needed- Dhokla cooker with deep plates. Alternatively you can make your own dhokla cooker, with a broad deep pan and a deep dish, with a lid to cover.
- Put about a liter of water to boil in the dhokla cooker.
- Grease the dhokla plate with some oil.
- In a prep bowl, empty the contents of the instant mix
- In a separate bowl, mix water and oil,
- Mix in the water oil mix into the Instant mix, so that no lumps are left, and stirring constantly while mixing in the water/oil.
- Once the water is emptied, hold the prep bowl with one hand, and vigorously stir the mix with your hand for about 20 sec.
- The mix will rise a bit. As soon as it rises, empty the mix into the greased dhokla dish.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder or black pepper or roasted cumin powder if you desire. You can also leave it plain.
- Insert the dish into the dhokla cooker, cover the lid and steam on fast flame for 15 min.
- Switch off the flame after 15 min and let it cool for further 10 min.
- While its cooling prepare the garnish.
- Put 2 tbsp oil to heat.
- Add mustard seeds to it.
- Once mustard seeds crackle, add chopped chillies.
- After 5 seconds, add cumin seeds
- Add curry leaves.
- Once cumin seeds become light brown, take off from flame.
- Spread this garnish over the cooked Khaman Dhokla Lentil Steamed Cake.
- Make diamond pieces by making dividing the dhoklas into four parts.
- Then turn the dish a bit and make further 4-5 lines.
- Garnish with fresh coconut and coriander.
- Serve warm with Green chutney or ketchup or just enjoy plain.
The trick to softness , lies in the vigorous stirring of the mix.
If it does not turn out well, crumble the cooked dhokla and mix in the oil garnish as well corainder and coconut. Add an extra layer of sev ( thin gram noodles ) and serve.
Check if the dhokla is cooked by inserting a fort/knife to see that it is not liquidy in the middle.
Soft and yummy, spicy and colorful, healthy and nutritious , and soon to be a popular on an international level! A very healthy breakfast, appetizer that can be enjoyed with ketchup or green chutney.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]