Instant Gulab Jamun Fried Dough is my favorite Indian dessert, which was the dessert by my demand on my wedding day. I truly love this dessert, and my husband does not! Like any other normal couple:)
Normally I favor Gits Instant Mixes, but in this case, my mother referred Chitale’s Instant Gulab Jamun pack, so thought I will check that out. And true to her statement, the Chitale’s Gulab Jamun were just simply delicious. Wikipedia, says that this was accidentally discovered by Shah Jahan’s personal chef and shares similarities with a Arabic dessert. The word Gulab means Rose, so flavored with Rose Water, and Jamun, refers to the shape and color similar to a flower found in India. Often rose petals are scattered in the syrup to give it a rich dessert feel. Since I was making this dessert for the first time I had to admit I was nervous a bit, but it turned out to be the perfect shape, color, with the right amount of sweetness and fragrance. This dessert will stay fresh for at least couple of weeks after being made, and hence are also popularly available in cans too at Indian grocery stores.
In Rajasthan, the Gulab Jamuns are fried in ghee, but in Gujarat side, they are fried in oil. I prefer the oil frying as it makes it more crisper. Fried dough based recipes are well appreciated the world over, as doughnuts are so popular amongst varied cultures and people. This is the ultimate fried dough recipe that is dipped in sugar syrup with hint of flavors from saffron and cardamon, besides rosewater and sugar. Because of this, the dessert was highly rated by my neighbors too.
Could not have found a better recipe to share with you than Instant Gulab Jamun Fried Dough, and hope that 2017 for you is full of sweetness and fragrance, and full of yum food and comfort. Look out for the gravy based vegetable made from Gulab Jamuns in future blog post.
HAPPY and DELICIOUS 2017!
Instant Gulab Jamun Fried Dough
Recipe makes about 30 pieces of Gulab Jamun
- 1 pack of Chitale’s Gulab Jamun Mix
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water( or approx 120ml) for gulab jamun
- Oil for frying
For the sugar syrup
- 4 cups of sugar
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- A few strands of saffron
- Mix the ingredient of the pack with 120 ml of water, with the water added in stages, as needed to make a soft dough.
- Make about 1/2 tbsp size round balls.
- Make the sugar syrup by heating the sugar and water and saffron strandsfor about 7 minutes, The consistency should not be thick, and keep it warm on a lowest flame.
- Put the oil to heat, and after it reaches smoking reduce it to medium heat.
- Fry the balls to a deep brown color for making the dessert version.
- Dip the fried dough instantly into the sugar syrup and press them down. This is important for it being soft and fluffy.
- After it cools down, add, rose water and cardamom and let the instant gulab jamuns soak in the sugar syrup.
- Chill the Gulab Jamuns for about 2-3 hours.
- Some people enjoy warm Gulab Jamuns.
If the oil cools down, the fried dough becomes stiff. so ensure that the temperature of oil is appropriate. The color of the gulab jamun will darken when soaked in the sugar syrup. I had some cracks on the surface, as I took some time to fry these after rolling them into balls. So fry them instantly, or ensure that you rub some ghee in the palm and roll them again, before frying, if not frying them instantly.
Putting the gulab jamuns in the sugar syrup was instinct based, as the syrup is absorbed more, when still hot. Once the dough cools down, it will not absorb enough to make it soft and fluffy.
Wow!! For the feeling of accomplishment, on trying to make an all time favorite dessert and being successful at it! Loved the softeness, fluffiness, taste , texture and fragrance of saffron and rosewater. They were a great hit at the dinner party and I even saved a couple and had them after three weeks, and still tasted delicious. Thankful for the instant mix companies, for manufacturing such great products, that make life more easier, and contentment more achievable! This recipe of Instant Gulab Jamun Fried Dough is sure to be a success at your end too, as I was able to achieve this at the first go! Happy New Year and Healthy and Delicious 2017 to all of you.!!