Celebrations galore! New Years Eve, happy birthdays of niece and nephew, kids back from college for winter break and me just excited for the new year to begin on the right note! Anything good or auspicious is always invited by making something sweet! So here I share Date and Toffee pudding as a harbinger for peace, calmness and healthy new year that also lets you achieve your personal goals in life!
The chance to taste this exquisite pudding was at Rasika over anniversary celebrations! It was warm, sweet, with a bit of caramel and fruits, topped with ice cream! More interestingly it had the dates as a base, which made it even more delicious for me. Dates are something I enjoy,(pun intended)! The iron and fibre in dates pack some powerful nutrients in a colorful warm dry fruit, and hence are often used by soldiers on the front to get their instant shot of energy,
I enjoyed learning how to make caramel syrup, as had no clue about it earlier, and the brown liquid reminds me of rolling melted gold over a brown date pudding. I personally preferred this without the ice cream but with some fruits in it. Best would be to serve it with the ice cream on the side, so you can pick and choose what you want to taste.
The shape at the restaurant was simple muffin shape, however I wanted to make it more fancier, as well as try something new in the baking shape. Recently I came across this ice cream corn kind of moulds, which to a garden lover like me looked more like small flower pots! The fruits arranged in the center made it a more real flower pot. The recipe has been adjusted for making it egg less.
The taste is exquisite, so is the shape making this Date and Toffee pudding, one of a kind! With the sweetness of dates, gold of caramel, colors of fruits and coolness of ice cream, I wish all of you a very Happy New Year and a spectacular 2018!
|Prep Time||20 min|
|Cook Time||30 min|
|Passive Time||20 min|
- 8 oz Pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour Gold Medal
- 3 tbsp Apple Sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 cup Light brown sugar
- I 12 cup muffin or ice cream cone tray for baking
- oil or ghee for greasing the muffin/cone tray
Making of Date Pudding
- Finely chop the dates in a grinder till it becomes a round ball.
- Add baking soda and warm water and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Mix the all purpose flour, salt, and baking powder in a deep bowl.
- With a whisk blade, fluff the butter for 5 minutes, till the butter is 3 shades lighter. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar and mix in for a minute.
- Pre heat the oven for 375 degrees at convection oven or 350 degrees regular oven.
- Combine the soaked dates, butter sugar and flour mixed with all ingredients.Add apple sauce and water and blend well everything into a batter for about 4 minutes.
- Great the muffin moulds or cone moulds thoroughly with ghee or butter. Fill the batter
- If using a cone mould, layer the filled cups tray with the indent tray to make a cone shape
- Bake on the second rack for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes,
- Cover slightly so that warm air can escape.
- Boil heavy cream, 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup of sugar to make the toffee syrup.
- Cool the toffee syrup for 5-7 minutes.
- Prick with a fork all over the date pudding. Then pour 2-3 tbsp toffee syrup over each of them.
- Soak the date pudding in the toffee syrup well, ensuring that they are well coated and let them cool for half an hour at the least.
- When serving, microwave each pudding for about 30 seconds. Arrange the fruit/berries in the centre. Scoop an ice cream of your choice, and then either layer it on the top of pudding, or by the side.Serve immediately.
If the toffee syrup becomes thick, put to warm on low heat, so it is easily absorbed by the pudding.
Serving ice cream on the side, will avoid it from melting fast.
Check if the date and toffee pudding is properly baked by sticking a toothpick/fork in the middle.
A new shape for a pudding for the new year! if the pudding mix does not drop well, add another tbsp of water. Softness of the pudding will depend on how well the butter has been fluffed.
Ringing the new year 2018 with this warm fuzzy Date and Toffee Pudding !! The perfect warmth,, texture softness, and caramel sweetness, surrounded by the colorful berries and coated with an ice cream of your choice! A combination of hot and cold, in this delicious dessert. The sweetness of dates combined with the toffee syrup makes this pudding a one of kind and will certainly make your family and guests feel on top of the world! Here's to more sweet recipes in 2018!